Pages

Thursday 3 January 2019

Summer Learning Journey - W2 D1 A2,A3

Activity 2: The Great Taupo Cycle Challenge [4 points]
If it was me, I would choose my son, Aronui, as one of my supporters because he’s really funny and energetic. I think that he would make sure that I had a great time and that I spent the entire day laughing and smiling. I would also choose my sister, Leigh, because she is very strong and fast. Thirdly, I would choose my co-leader, Hazel, because she is very organised and would make sure that we followed the trail and didn’t get lost!

On your blog, list the three people you would like to have on your Lake Taupo Cycle Race Support Crew. Tell us why you have chosen each person.
If it were me I would have my best-friend Naomi, as a supporter because she is so cheerful and supportive. I would also have my mum Lorraine as a supporter because she would be a great supporter and good person to race for. The last person in my support crew would have to be my cousin Mereana, I choose her because she is a very close cousin and she would be a great help towards my training and race.
Task Description: For this task I had to list the three people I would like to have in my Lake Taupo Cycle Race Support Crew. I listed my three people above go check it out. The once your done comment down below who your three people would be.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 3: Something Smells Fishy…[10 points]

One of the longest and largest rivers in the world is called the Amazon River. It is located in South America and is approximately 6400 kilometres (kms) long. That is four times longer than the entire country of New Zealand. Wow!
Scientists believe that there are over 3000 different kinds of fish that live in the Amazon River. Now, that is a lot of fish! To learn more about fish, we went online and found some really cool facts about fish.
For this activity, we are going to provide you with five sentences about fish. Some of them are true and some are them are not. It is your job to read these ‘facts’, and decide whether they are true or false.
On your blog, write out each fact and in CAPITAL LETTERS beside the fact, write the word ‘TRUE’ if it is a true fact or ‘FALSE’ if it is not true.
True or False?
Fish Fact #1: The oldest known fish in the world is a 65 year old Australian lungfish. TRUE
Fish Fact #2: Sharks are the only fish that have eyelids. TRUE
Fish Fact #3: Starfish are a type of fish. FALSE
Fish Fact #4: Fish communicate with each other by making low-pitched sounds (moans, hisses, etc) TRUE
Fish Fact #5: Fish usually swim together in groups called ‘classes.’ FALSE
Task Description: For this task I had to write in CAPITAL LETTERS next to the fact whether the fact is true or false. My answers are above so go check it out. Then comment what you think.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora & Namaste Makayla,
    Thanks for completing these activities! Ka Pai!
    Activity 2: The Great Taupo Cycle Challenge - You did well in this post because I can see you have chosen some important people to take with you in the race and you reasons why made completely sense. If I was to race I would take my daughter with me because she is my big supporter and fan and this would encourage me to do well to make her proud. Also, I would take a friend who is a very good cyclist and she would help me with training just like your cousin. Last but no least, I would take another friend who is really good on make plans as she would help me to get organise and create a strategy for the race. I actually enjoy cycling around, usually I go for bike rides with my daughter during weekends to nice parks. However, now I am trying to use my bicycle to come to work at least one day per week, I did that yesterday and I am feeling very tired but also happy today. Do you like to use your bike to get around?

    Activity 3: Something Smells Fishy - This is a very straight forward task that can help you guys to practise to become savvy in your online research because, let's be honest, there is a lot of information out there in the web but not everything in there is necessarily true or reliable and there is when we can use our critical thinking to be able to see the difference between the truth and reliable information or just opinions. So let's have a look on your answers:
    For the fish fact #1 the information is false as the oldest fish is an Australian lungfish that is 84+ year old
    Fish Fact #2: correct! I din't know that and I am wondering why they have eyelids? :0)
    Fish Fact #3: correct!
    Fish Fact #4: correct! well they also use other ways to communicate as well, see link: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/15/science/how-fish-communicate-even-using-noise.html
    Fish Fact #5: Correct! These groups of fish are actually called School

    Keep up with your great work!
    Kia kaha,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete