Pages

Friday 21 December 2018

Summer Learning Journey - W1 D5 A1/A2/A3

Activity 1: Towering Timbers [4 points]
There is a long and rich history of logging in New Zealand. Logging involves cutting down trees. The people who cut them down are called loggers. The trees that they cut down are sold and used to build things (eg. houses), to make products (eg. paper), and to generate (create) heat and power. Over the past two centuries, many of the trees in New Zealand have been cut down by loggers.
Left: NZ native forest Right: A logged forest

Some people like logging because it creates jobs for the loggers and generates money for New Zealand while others are against (opposed to) logging. Many of those opposed are worried that logging will damage the environment. It might also force animals who live in trees (eg. owls) to find new homes.
What do you think about logging?


On your blog tell us whether you think logging should be allowed in New Zealand. Be sure to provide at least two reasons to support your argument.
I Think Logging Should Be Banned!!
I think that Logging should be banned because it is bad for the environment and animal species living in the environment.

I think its bad for the environment because cutting down trees will cause big patches of land where manufacturers can build on using their machines and other things from factories, And things from that factory are bad for air pollution and climate change.

Another reason why Logging should be banned because it is bad for the animals living in forest. Because a lot of animals live in the forest and a lot of them are native to NZ, and a lot of our native animals are nearly extinct. So we need to ban Logging not just for our own sake but for our native animals as well.
Task Description: For this task I had to explain whether I think Logging should be banned or not. I also had to provide two reasons to support my opinion. My arguement is above go check it out and tell me what you think.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 2: Living on the Edge [4 points]
Over the past few years, however, the temperature in the tundra has been rising and the weather has been changing. Let’s imagine that your teacher decides to take you on a class trip to the tundra before the weather changes too much and you aren’t able to go.
On your blog, write a letter to your best friend or a family member telling them about your trip to the tundra. To earn full points your letter must have a greeting (eg. Dear…) followed by 5 – 6 sentences of information about what your experience.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Amelia,
I went on a school trip with my class and Mrs Stone. We went to visit a Tundra. I had loads of fun there, it was really interesting.
A Tundra is a cold and treeless plain where its hard conditions make it hard for animals and plants to survive. Apparently about 20% of Earths land is covered in tundra. Its very cold, the average temperature in the tundra is around -18 degrees F. It gets colder in the winter and warms up during its very short summer. Over the past few years the tundra temperature has been getting higher and higher, also the weather has been changing as well.
There are two types of Tundras. There's a Alpine tundra and a Arctic Tundra. An Alpine tundra is the land high in the mountains above the tree line. The Arctic tundra is based far north in the northern hemisphere along the arctic circle. There are large areas of tundra located in the northern North America, northern Europe and northern Asia.

This was the experience I had while on my trip. You should definitely visit it one day. I hope you enjoy my experience letter.
Kind Regards,
Makayla
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Task Description: For this task I had to write a letter to a friend family member etc. The letter had to talk about the experience I had going on a class trip to visit the tundra. I also had to talk about my experience and research about tundras. The person I wrote to was my friend Amelia, she is also doing Summer Learning Journey so click here to check out her blog.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 3: Going, going….gone [10 points]

Over the years, scientists have made some surprising discoveries. One of these discoveries is that we have entire cities (e.g. Jakarta, Indonesia and Venice, Italy) that are slowly sinking into the ocean. Scientists believe that, one day, the cities will disappear completely under the water. Yikes!
Some of the residents (people living in the cities) have taken pictures of their neighbourhoods and written stories about their lives in order to make a record of what ‘life was like’ in their city before it disappeared.
Let’s imagine that New Zealand was going to sink to the bottom of the ocean next week (Eek!). Before it sinks you are asked to write a blog post telling people what life was like in New Zealand in 2018.


On your blog, post a description of life in New Zealand in 2018. Please remember that the people who read your post will have never been to New Zealand or even seen a picture so it is your job to ‘paint a picture’ of New Zealand using your words. You can also post pictures, if you wish. Be sure to fully attribute the pictures.

Task Description: For this task I had to write a description of life in New Zealand for 2018, instead I did mine for my whole life because I thought it would be better. I also had to add in a photo or two because whoever would read my description might not know what NZ looks like. My description is above go check it out and I hope you enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Makayla,

    Welcome back to the Summer Learning Journey programme! It is great see that you are participating this summer! I can see that you have already completed five days' worth of activities. We have tracked all of your work in our big spreadsheet and we will continue to post comments throughout the summer.

    Today I have the privilege of posting comments on the blogs from Pt England and I am so impressed with this post. You have clearly put in a lot of effort and you have also demonstrated a lot of careful thinking about some tricky topics like logging and living in the tundra. I have to admit that I wouldn't enjoy living in the tundra. It is just too cold and barren for me! What about you? Would you like to go the tundra to see what it is like?

    My dad is an outdoor education teacher and he has actually travelled from our house in Ontario, Canada to the tundra. He said that was an amazing experience but he also talked about it being very, very cold and a little bit lonely as there are hardly any people living in the region. He went with a few friends so, at least, he had someone to talk to when he was walking through the snow and looking for a place to set up camp.

    I hope that you will be able to continue with the SLJ throughout the summer. Our team will look forward to coming back to check out your blog and post more comments soon!

    Cheers,
    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour Makayla ,

    Well Done on Completing the 1st week of SLJ , I really enjoyed your story about NZ Life it tell's how much NZ Really means of you being Born here and I can Relate to that too how sad that NZ is Sinking :(

    Keep on going :)

    Cheers ,
    Lillyana

    ReplyDelete