Pages

Monday 14 January 2019

Summer Learning Journey - W3 D2 A1,A2,A3

Activity 1: Bee Informed [4 points]
One of the most important, but least talked about, animals in New Zealand is the bumblebee. It was first introduced to New Zealand in 1885 to help pollinate a special plant called the ‘Red Clover.’ Today, bumblebees do many other important jobs, including the pollination of greenhouses and orchard crops. If the bees did not pollinate the plants, they would not survive.
For this activity, we would like you to bee-come detectives and to learn more about the mysterious, and often ignored, bumblebee. We will provide you with five sentences about bumblebees from the NZ Bumblebee Conservation Trust website and it is your job to fill in the blanks with the missing information about bees. Choose the phrase/word that makes the most sense from the list at the bottom. (Each phrase/word can only be used once).
To earn full points for this activity you must type all five sentences and then fill in the blanks for each one. Post the completed sentences on your blog.
My Full Sentences:
The word ‘bumblebee’ is a compound word (bumble + bee). The word ‘bumble’ means to hum, buzz, or drone.
Bumblebees can fly very quickly. They can reach ground speeds of 54 kilometers per hour (km/h).
Bumblebees are very strong! They carry up to 90 percent of their body weight in food with them to avoid starvation.
Bumblebees can do more work and carry more pollen than other bees, including honeybees. In fact, they can do up to 50 times as much work as a normal honeybee.
The number of bumblebees is declining in New Zealand due to a number of factors, including the removal of wildflowers and flowering trees, habitat loss, and extensive use of pesticides.
Task Description: For this task I had to fill in the blanks relating to Bumblebees. The sentences I had to fill the blanks in are above, I filled in the blanks to the sentences. But there were key sentences/phrases/numbers. So I used those key information to fill in the blanks. The way I did that was by making the blank keys bold, so the key sentences/phrases/numbers that are made bold are the blanks.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 2: Carbon Sinks Don’t Stink! [4 points]
Every day a chemical compound called carbon dioxide (CO2) is produced and released into the air.  If it isn’t removed, it can become toxic for humans. Fortunately, there are a number of places where CO2 is absorbed (removed from the air). Two of the most common places are forests and oceans. They are called ‘carbon sinks’ because, like a sink, they gather, clean and drain things away that we don’t want. One of the largest carbon sinks in New Zealand is a forest in the south-western part of the South Island. It drains away 60% of our unwanted carbon!
Let’s imagine that you could design a sink that could gather up and then drain away any foods that you don’t like. On your blog, tell us what you would put in your special sink. If it was me, I would put rice pudding, brussel sprouts, custard, parsnips, and seafood chowder in the sink. Yuck! What about you?
On your blog, list all of the foods that you would put in your special draining sink.
First of all I would add spinach to my sink. I would add spinach because the texture of it makes me gag. I would also add seafood chowder to the sink. I would add this because when I first tried seafood chowder I didn't like it, but then it doesn't help I don't eat fish.
Task Description: For this task I had to list down foods that I would put in my special draining sink. This draining sink makes the foods I chose drain away aka disappear. My list of foods are above go check it out.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 3: Flying Fungi [10 points]

Let’s imagine that we tested the air in your classroom and found 7 different kinds of mould. Eek! The cleaner says that it takes 5 days for each mould to be eradicated (removed). If the school had to remove each mould one at a time, how long would it take to remove all the mould from the classroom? 


On your blog, tell us how you would solve this tricky maths problem. Be sure to also post your final answer in days or weeks.
This is how I solved the problem.
Task Description: For this task I had to solve the problem above. Then I had to explain/show my working out. My working out is next to me go check it out.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Makayla

    My name is Daniel and I am part of the Summer Learning Journey. Well done on completing day 2 of week 3! It sounds like the Bumblebees are very hardworking - doing 50 times the amount of work of a normal honey bee sounds amazing. Keep up the excellent work Makayla!

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Makayla,
    I can not believe how much work and effort you put into this post. 1st of all the honey bees, I love how you clearly stated what the word bumble means. The carbon sink was a little sad because I love spinach. I love your method of working out this problem. Maybe next time you could change the text colour to black to make it easy to read.

    Happy blogging
    hpsgargeej.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Makayla,
    I am Vitaraag. The bumble bee one was perfect and I like how you showed what you were meant to do. I agree when you said the carbon sink.Maybe next time you could elaborate on your ideas.

    Vitaraag

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Makayla,

    You are doing such a fantastic job with the summer learning journey! I agree with the comments before - your hard work really shows through the quality of these posts. I thought you displayed your working well in the maths questions as it showed us how you solved the problem.

    Keep up the great work!
    Mrs Stone

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Makayla...great to see you blogging on the SLJ. There's still some time to complete the activities before school begins - how many more can you get done? Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete