Pages

Friday 4 January 2019

Summer Learning Journey - W2 D3 A1,A2,A3

Activity 1: Night Owls [4 points]

Image result for oamaru blue penguinHere in New Zealand we have many amazing and unique sea creatures, including penguins. The blue penguin, or kororā, is particularly special because it is the smallest penguin in the entire world! Blue penguins are typically found on the east coast of the South Island in places like Oamaru but they can be hard to spot as they rarely leave the water. If they do come onto land it is usually at night, when most of us are sound asleep! That’s because they are nocturnal. Not all of us, however, sleep all night. In fact, some people love to stay awake late into the evening. People who like to stay up late are called ‘night owls.’ Are you a night owl or are you an early riser, like me? I typically wake up every day around 6:00 a.m. and jump out of bed, ready to start the day!
On your blog, tell us whether you are a night owl or an early riser. Then, tell us about the rest of your family. Are they the same as you?.
Am I an Early Riser or a Night Owl?
In my opinion I think I'm a Early Riser because I wake up at 5:45 a.m everyday to get ready for school. I also think my mum is an Early Riser as well because she wakes up at 6:00 a.m to get ready for work. For my whole life I've been an Early Riser, due to my mum starting work early in the morning, so I've pretty much got used to waking up early.
Task Description: For this task I learnt about Blue Penguins and how they come onto land late at night. I also learnt that some people stay up very late to see them, and those people are called Night Owls. There is also people who wake up early everyday, and so in this task we had to explain whether we're an Early Riser or a Night Owl. We also had to say what our family members are, Night Owls or Early Risers.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 2: A Local Delicacy [4 points]
Whitebait is a very special fish in New Zealand. It is rumoured (believed) to be a very delicious fish. Some restaurants in New Zealand make dishes that feature whitebait, including whitebait fritters. Have you ever tried whitebait fritters? They are a favourite dish of many of my friends. I, personally, prefer foods from places like Mexico and Italy. Pizza and nachos are two of my all-time favourite foods! In fact, I often make homemade pizza with Aronui on Friday nights using the same ingredients (pizza base, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, chicken, red onion, basil and feta cheese) each time. For this activity, please choose a favourite food and find a recipe for it.
On your blog, share a list of the ingredients that you need to make this food. You must type out the list of ingredients yourself (and not simply copy and paste it from a website) to earn full points.


Task Description: For this task we had to choose a favorite food and also a recipe for it. I also had to list the ingredients but I couldn't copy and paste is from a website. I did mine in a presentation so go check it out above and I hope you enjoy.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 3: The Midnight Zone [10 points]
One of these creatures is called the ‘Colossal Squid.’ A colossal squid can weigh as much as 495 kilograms (kg)! Here in New Zealand, we have a full sized colossal squid on display at Te Papa Museum in Wellington. It is the only specimen of its kind in the entire world! This squid weighs approximately 500 kg. In 2018, a team at Te Papa decided to move the giant squid from one area of the museum to another. Deep in the ocean, far below the surface, lies an area called the ‘Midnight Zone.’ It is called the midnight zone because it is always dark or ‘pitch black’ in this area. Much of the deep sea has yet to be explored by humans, however, we do know a little bit about the creatures that live here.
Let’s imagine that the average adult can lift 25 kg and the average child can lift 15 kg. How many adults and children will it take to move the giant squid into its new room at Te Papa? [Note: There is more than one right answer to this question.]
On your blog, tell us how you will solve this maths problem. You can write your answer in words, use a Sketchpad image or post a video explaining how you would figure it out. Be sure to give us your final answer.
25kg + 15kg = 40kg
40kgs X 10 = 400kgs
25kgs + 25kgs = 50kgs
25kgs + 10kgs + 10kgs = 45kgs
400kgs + 50kgs + 45kgs = 495kgs
Task Description: For this task I had to explain how I solved this problem above. It took me ages to work out the problem but I got there in the end. Go check out my solving then comment down below if you have a different way.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Makayla,

    What a amazing post you have done! I like that you have put so much effort into your hard work that you have completed. Your first activity about night owls was great. I'm never an early riser! I just like staying up all night watching YouTube. Spaghetti Bolognese use to be one of my favorite food. Do you remember when they use to put that on the menu at school? I do. I was perfection! Anyways keep up the hard work Makayla. I love your posts!

    Cheers,
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora & Namaste Makayla,
    Activity 1: Night Owls - That's good that you are an early riser as I found we can get so much done in the morning. What time do you go to sleep usually? I am an early riser too! Unfortunately my daughter is not, so there is always a bit of struggle in the morning to get her out of bed.:0)

    Activity 2: A Local Delicacy - I love spaghetti bolognese, yum! I usually cook it at least once a week in my place. Who does most of the cooking in your house? Do you help with the cooking sometimes? I do most of the cooking at my place because I love cooking! Recently I start to ask my daughter to help a bit more because and, despite the fact that she is only 8 years old, I want her to learn how to cook. I really like your presentation because you used a lots of colours, a good picture and that made you post very creative and mouthwatering, well done!

    Activity 3: The Midnight Zone - I love Maths! Specially the "work out" part! I really like how you broke your work out in small steps. However, I think you got sidetracked as you din't wrote your final answer. This activity is asking for you to answer " How many adults and children will it take to move the giant squid into its new room at Te Papa? " In order for you to gain full points for this activity I will need you to hoop back in this post and add this information. Could you kindly do that and let me know by replying to this comment? That would be really wonderful!
    Keep up with the great work and be amazing!
    Kia kaha,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete