Pages

Thursday 10 January 2019

Summer Learning Journey - W3 D1 A1,A2,A3

Activity 1: Togs or Trackies? [4 points]
New Zealand is a pretty lovely place to live, isn’t it? Apparently, New Zealand (NZ) is also a pretty lovely place to visit. In 2017 approximately 2-3 million people came to visit NZ as tourists. Some of them chose to come in the middle of our summer, while others braved it and came in the middle of winter! When do you think is the best time of year (season) to visit NZ?
If you would like some help making a decision, feel free to read the Go New Zealand website. It has lots of information about the seasons in NZ!
I, personally, encourage my friends and family from overseas to come and visit NZ in early spring. The weather is usually warm and dry and the tourist attractions, beaches and holiday spots are less busy than they are in the middle of summer.
On your blog, tell us what time of year you think is best for tourists for come and visit. Be sure to share at least three things that tourists could do while they were here in NZ.
In my opinion I think that the best time of year for tourists to visit is in December because it's summer. There are a lot of things to do in summer, I will be telling you three things that you can try out while you're here. One thing to do is visit our beaches. One beach that you can visit is Matai Bay. It's clean and clear water is a very beautiful appearance, also adding to it the bays soft white sand makes it the ultimate summers escape. There are multiple activities to do there such as, swim in the beautiful water, go snorkeling, or kayak among the smooth water. Another thing to do is visit our famous landmarks. NZ has a lot of landmarks and all of them are different in a way. One of my favorite landmarks is One Tree Hill. One Tree Hill is one of my favorite landmarks because the landscape is amazing. I also love the park that they have there because it very fun and unique. It is also amazing to check out in summer because once you've made it to the top of the hill you will be able to see the great view which also stars the sun. But one of the things I hated about it was the walk, it was so tiring and long. But I knew that, there was also a road to use but we decided to walk. I still liked it though so you should definitely check it out. Lastly you can visit our famous water park Splash Planet, located in Hastings. It is a very fun place to visit, especially in summer. It's got a range of pools, slides, water activities etc. I love going here with family it let's us bond together. So you should go visit it for yourself.
Task Description: For this task I had to explain what time of year I think is the best for tourists to visit. I chose Summer because it is a very famous season in NZ. I also had to list three things to do in NZ while it is Summer. My listings are above go check them out.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 2: You are my Sunshine [4 points]


People in New Zealand love spending time outdoors. Unfortunately, the sun is very powerful and the rates of skin cancer are incredibly high in New Zealand. In fact, they are higher than anywhere else in the entire world! To protect ourselves against skin cancer, we need to be careful about how much time we spend in the sun. We have to be ‘Sunsmart.’

Read the Sunsmart website.

On your blog, list five different things that we can do to protect ourselves from the sun this summer!
One thing that you can do to protect yourself from the sun is to apply sunblock to your skin 20 minutes before going outside.
Another thing is to put on a shirt with long sleeves, although this is a great one I don't really like it. I don't like it because on hot days to wear a long sleeve shirt that would irritate me. So I don't think this one is that great, but it still protects you in the Summer time.
Also another thing you should always wear a hat when going outside. This is my favorite one, you should always wear a hat when outside in any weather. You should particularly wear a hat with a wide brim or with flaps.
One other thing is to lay out your hangout spot somewhere shady, Like under a leafy tree or under an umbrella or two. I suggest bringing an umbrella or two because then you can hangout on the beach but also have protection from the sun.
Lastly you should plan your outdoor activities for later on in the day such as after 4:00 pm. This is because during the day it is boiling hot, but going in to the evening the heat starts to lower and the sun soon starts setting. So you will still have time to play but at least wait for the evening when it's a bit cooler.
Task Description: For this task I had to list five things that we can do to keep safe from the sun this summer. My five listings are above you should go check them out. Comment down below what else you think we can do to keep safe, I hope you enjoy.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 3: Burning Up… [15 points]
While it can get hot in New Zealand, especially in the middle of summer, it gets even hotter in places like Dallol (Ethiopia), Dasht-e Loot (Iran), Tirat Zvi (Israel), Kabili (Tunisia) and Bandar-e Mahshahr (Iran).
The hottest temperature on record in each place is: Dallol: 41oC; Dasht-e Loot: 71oC; Tirat Zvi: 54oC; Kabili: 55oC; Bandar-e Mahshahr: 51oC. Crazy ‘eh?!
For this activity, you are asked to use this information to create a graph. The graph should have a title along with the names of each city and their hottest recorded temperatures. You can draw the graph by hand or use a computer program like Google Draw to create your graph. It’s completely up to you!
Here is an example of a graph:
On your blog, post a picture of your graph.
Task Description: For this task I had to create a graph. Thiss graph is based on the hottest temperature on record in these places. My graph is next to me, go check it out.








2 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Makayla,

    Great Post! You are doing an excellent job throug this years SLJ programme. I loved the graph you have made and how creative and simnple it is. Wow! These are some hot places, am I right? Overall this would have to be my favourite activity overall as it's really simple. Congratulations on finishing these activities.

    Keep up the great work and hope to see more posts soon.

    What was your favourite activity?

    Hinerangi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora & Namaste Makayla,
    Activity 1: Togs or Trackies? This is a wonderful piece of writing! I agree with you, Summer is best here in New Zealand because we have great weather and longer daylight and that makes it the perfect season for visitors to get to know our amazing country! I really liked that you mentioned Matai Bay because it is indeed an amazing beach to go, actually up North we are so blessed with so many options of amazing and pristine beaches. Furthermore, you also mentioned the landmarks places we have here in New Zealand and I think that was very thoughtful of you. I love One Tree Hill and I go there quite often for a run and I agree with you, as this is one of our loveliest parks, the landscape and views are just amazing in there!

    Activity 2: You are my Sunshine: you gave us some great tips of how to keep save from the sun harm this summer, thanks! I agree with you as I always wear a hat when I am going outside, this is super important! Furthermore, you mention about the best time to go out is after 4pm when the sun is less strong which is another great one! I would also suggest in the morning before 10am as it can be very middle and quite pleasant. You completed this activity very well. Ka Mau te Wehi!

    Activity 3: Burning Up… Wow, what a great job you have done here! You graph is really good! However, it would be perfect if you have added a tittle, for example you wrote "My Graph", instead of that you could have write something along these lines: Hottest Places , Hottest Temperatures in the World. We use graphics as a way to create a visual representation of a group of information, it can be used to make the information easier to understand and compare. Good job!
    Keep up with your great work!
    Kia Kaha,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete