Pages

Thursday 3 January 2019

Summer Learning Journey - W2 D2 A1,A2,A3

Activity 1: Weaving a Tall Tale…[4 points]

There is a long history in New Zealand of collecting natural plants, including flax (harakeke), and using them to create cloaks, baskets (kete), mats, traps and ropes. Flax weaving is an art form. It can take years for people to perfect the art of weaving. Have you ever tried it?
For this activity, you are asked to watch a short video of someone weaving a fish (ika) out of flax.
On your blog, tell us whether or not you would like to try flax weaving. Does it interest you? Why or why not?
Would I like to try flax weaving?
To be honest I would like to try flax weaving. But fortunately I have already tried flax weaving. Before I tried it, it really hooked me in because it looked fun and also the finished product was amazing. When I ended up trying it was hard but I got there in the end.
Task Description: For this task I had to explain whether or not I would like to tr flax weaving. I have already tried this before so I explained that in my piece. Check my piece above and I hope you enjoy.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 2: Mighty Mangroves [4 points]
For this activity you are asked to think of someone who is very tough and strong. They can be someone who you know personally or they can be a character that you have read about in a book, seen in a movie, or on a television show.
On your blog, tell us about this person. Who are they? Why are they, in your opinion, so strong and tough?

I have so many strong and tough people in my life. But I want to acknowledge this one person, my mum. I chose my mum because she is one of the strongest and toughest person I know. I decided to choose her because she gave birth to me. She is the strong and tough woman that bought me to this world. She always knows the right things for me and my wellness, she is a huge help to my life and I can't be more grateful for her.

Task Description:For this task I had to tell you guys about a person I think is strong and tough. I decided to choose my, so go check my explanation to see why I chose her. I hope you enjoy.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 3: Stranger than Fiction [10 points + 5 possible points]
Here on earth there are more than 298 000 different kinds (species) of plants. Some of these plants live on land and some live in the water. Follow this link to read about 10 of the strangest plant species in the world. When you are finished, choose two of the plants from the list.
On your blog, list three similarities and three differences between the two plants that you chose. To earn five extra bonus points, post a picture of both plants on your blog..
Image result for mimosa pudica
Image result for Rafflesia Arnoldii



























Task Description: For this task I was asked to pick to plants from the list. Then I had to list three similarities and three differences, I couldn't find any similarities so comment down below and help me with some similarities. Well I hope you enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. Hey there Makayla, it's Billy here from the Summer Learning Journey team. I did some commenting on blogs last summer, you might remember?

    It's great to see that you are working hard again this summer. I'm impressed that you are so willing to give flax weaving a go. It seems like it would take a lot of energy and time. What did you have a go at weaving in the past?

    I'd really like to have one of those giant woven mats. They are great for relaxing at the beach or at the park.

    Thanks, Billy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Makayla,
    Thanks for completing another set of activities! Ka pai!
    Activity 2: Mighty Mangroves - How lovely that you have decided to write about you mum! I really liked how you used the expression "wellness" because is such a powerful word that means many things and, that is exactly what we expect mums do for their children, to help you to be well until you become mature enough to do it by yourself. Ka Mau te Wehi!
    As food for thought, I think for this post you could have added a picture of your mum as that would add more empathy and impact in this post.

    Activity 3: Stranger than Fiction - I really like that you make a poster with a diagram, you are in the right path here. However, you also need to make a list of 3 similarities between the 2 plants and for this case you can do a Venn Diagram and where the 2 circles intersect is where you would write the similarities. In order for you to gain full points I need you to add the similarities in your post and let me know by replying this e-mail. Could you do that and let me know?
    Keep up with the great work! Be amazing!
    Kia kaha,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete