Pages

Monday 10 July 2017

WLJ Activity 2 Day 3

I think that New Zealand should be predator free. I think this because innocent farmers have to pay about $35 million dollars a year because of the possum damage. I also think that possums should go back to their natural home where they belong so that they don't cause trouble here in New Zealand. I also think that they shouldn't be in New Zealand because they have been causing a lot of trouble so if they are gone and New Zealand is predator free then there won't be any predator trouble for the government to fix.

Image result for possum This is a possum
Image attribution: https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=possum&rlz=1CAACAJ_enNZ714NZ714&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVs9HMgP7UAhVCpJQKHVPEAo0Q_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=678&safe=active&ssui=on#imgrc=5pXmPPr0mqNh_M:

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kayla!

    I totally agree with you have them killed! Especially the Possums. I did not know that farmers have to pay for damage made by possums. I loved your reason about the possums it was great. Do you think goes for all predators (I can't do a question mark sos) Anyways awesome work on the WLJ!

    Your Mate,
    Amelia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Makayla,

    I had no idea that possums cost the government quite so much money every year. Wow, $35 million is a HUGE sum. I can understand why the government (and many farmers and other business owners) would like to see possums disappear. It is going to be a difficult task, I'm afraid, as there are thousands of possums spread throughout the country and they can be quite difficult to catch. I wonder what the government will do to try and catch them. Perhaps they will create some additional traps or develop a toxin that is effective in killing them. Either way, they have committed to removing all predators by 2050. We'll have to see if they are successful in reaching their goal.

    Watch this space...

    ~Rachel

    ReplyDelete