Pages

Tuesday 18 December 2018

Summer Learning Journey - W1 D1 A1/A2/A3

Activity 1: The Legend of New Zealand [4 points]

According to Māori mythology, much of Aotearoa New Zealand was formed when Māui, a powerful demigod, fished it out of the sea. Legend has it that Māui created a magical fish hook from the jawbone of his grandmother and that one day he took his hook, boarded a boat, and rode out into the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Once at sea, he threw his magical hook into the water and caught a fish. This ‘fish’ was actually the North Island of New Zealand honour of this legend, the North Island of New Zealand is sometimes referred to as Te Ika a Māui or ‘Māui’s fish’ and the South Island of New Zealand is sometimes referred to as Te Waka a Māui or ‘Māui’s canoe’



To learn more cool facts about New Zealand, check out the Tourism NZ website. Read the fun facts posted on the website and choose your ‘Top 3.’ On your blog, post your ‘Top 3 Fun Facts’ about NZ in your own words.

Here are the "Top 3 Facts" I found:
NZ was once apart of the NSW territory in Australia, years ago.
It was the first major nation to let everyone have the right to vote in an election.
Gisborne is the first city in the world to see the sunrise because it is very close to the international date line.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are the Top 3 facts before I put it in my own words:
New Zealand was once governed as part of the territory of New South Wales and later a part of Australia.
It was the first major nation to have universal suffrage. In 1893 all male and female citizens are legally allowed to vote.
Gisborne is the first city in the world to see the sunrise because it is 496.3 kilometers away from the International Date Line.
Task Description: As you can see at the top it tells you the information for my task. But I will tell you in my own words. So what I had to do was take a look at the facts about NZ that they provided me with. Then I had to find my Top 3 Facts and post them on my blog but in my own words. So here is my first activity I hope you enjoy.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 2: North and South [4 points]
The country of New Zealand is made up of two main islands – the North Island and the South Island. Approximately 77% of the New Zealand population live in the North Island. Many of these people (including our Summer Learning Journey design team) live in Auckland city. Auckland is a great place to live with lots of amazing parks, beautiful waterways and stunning scenery to enjoy. It is also a busy, vibrant city with many cafes, museums, galleries and theatres to visit. I feel lucky to call Auckland my ‘hometown.’
Now it is time to think about your hometown. What is special about where you live? On your blog, describe your hometown. Be sure to include lots of describing words (adjectives) in your post.


Image Attribution

My hometown, My favourite place, Auckland. I live in Auckland a.k.a "The city of sails". Auckland is very special to me because of many reasons. One reason is that it is my beautiful home. It is also special because it has a lot of amazing landmarks icluding the famous Skytower. It's also really special to me because I've made a lot of memories here that I can cherish.
Task Description: For this task I had to think about my hometown (Auckland). Then I had to write a little description about it but I had to describe why it's special. After that I had to post it on my blog, So my description is above go check it out and I hope you enjoy.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 3: Ice, Ice Baby [10 points]
Antarctica is the world’s coldest continent. Even though it is made up of ice, it is also the driest continent in the world. In fact, it hasn’t rained there for nearly 2 million years! It is home to many animals such as whales, seals, birds, and fish. There are no permanent human residents (people who live there all the time) in Antarctica, however scientists do visit and stay in Antarctica for a while to study it.
This year the airline, Air New Zealand, filmed their safety video in Antarctica. They used some fabulous actors from Hornby Primary School in Christchurch. Just like on aeroplanes, we also need to keep safe and be smart online. We need to think about the type of information we are sharing online, who we are sharing information with, and how to have a positive digital footprint.
On your blog, make a copy of this footprint and, inside the footprint, explain how you create a positive, digital footprint. What do you do to stay smart online?.
Task Description: For this task I had to make a copy of the footprint that I was provided with. Then I had to explain how to create a postive/digital footprint. The footprint was to small for me to add in "What I do to stay smart online" so I will add it here. What I do to stay smart online is to do appropriate stuff. I also ask my parent for permission to go online before leaving a footprint.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is my Tasks for Day 1 done. I hope you enjoyed my Tasks. My favourite Task was activity one. I liked that Task because I got to learn more about NZ and I found out some interesting facts.

1 comment:

  1. Morena Makayla

    I am Izzy and I am part of the Summer Learning Journey team. I have enjoyed reading your first post. Don’t forget there are a total of three activities to do a day. The more you do, the more points you get and the better your chance is of winning a prize!

    I love how you put these facts into your own words. It means that you really understand what they are saying and it helps me to learn more about New Zealand.

    Have you ever been to Gisborne? I would love to go there and watch the sunrise one day. It's pretty cool that we are the FIRST place in the world to see the sunrise.

    Have a good day,
    Izzy

    ReplyDelete